Wednesday, August 25, 2010

What Do You Eat?

I seem to have an affinity for choosing things that I have to explain A LOT. What genetic counseling is, why I am traveling, why I have no "home", and most often why I am a vegetarian. I think it's actually a pretty rude question. I don't ask you why you like to eat bloody, animal carcass do I?

That being said, being a vegetarian is sometimes challenging in other countries. It is by no means impossible though. I even met my friend Lindsay (now even a veg food blogger) by bonding over the fact that we were the only vegetarians on study abroad. Sometimes we went hungry and only ate bread and drank wine, but most of the time we did alright.

Being a vegetarian is not as hard as it seems and, on a separate rant, anyone who thinks vegetarians eat fish should be slapped. In every place I have been so far I have managed and been able to find vegetarian food.

In Spain the land of jamón legs hanging around and jamón chips, I was able to live, eat out and enjoy local food for 5 months! I lived on tortilla española, goat and sheep cheeses, vegetables, frequent visits to the best vegetarian restaurant in Madrid (Artemisa) and becoming a regular at an Indian restaurant (very authentic mind you- not).

Lindsay and jamón chips, couldn't get this one to flip, but you get it

I think the only thing that I regret being a vegetarian is not being able to try a lot of the local cuisines. I am not going to eat aplaca or cuy in Peru, but to be honest I was never an adventurous meat eater to begin with. I just rely on my friends to tell me what it's like. I would like to try more street food, but it's probably better for my health that I don't.

Ceviche in Lima, Peru; I may have tried a bite, but I blame Josh; only time I've cheated in 3 years!

Some of the best food I have had in other countries is vegetarian- India (everything in general, but best saag ever), Israel (hummus, sabich, arab pastry like a calzone- Josh what's it called?, burekas, falafel), London (veggie burger), Spain (cheese, wine, tortilla), Greece (tzatziki, giant beans, feta) and Italy(best pasta ever). And countless other places.

I just wanted to write this to prove to everyone that A. I'm not starving, B. I don't feel like I am depriving myself and C. I will prove to nay-sayers that I can be vegetarian anywhere in the world.

I am looking forward to making my way around Cusco and finding the best vegetarian Peruvian food that this country has to offer! Don't feel sorry for me missing out on food and I won't feel sorry for you when your cuy makes you take multiple trips to the toilet!

If all else fails, Peru is famous for Pisco sours and since they are made with egg white it counts as a meal right?

2 comments:

  1. Allie,
    I recently stopped eating meat (I still eat seafood, so not true vegetarian). I am amazed at how amazed people are that I don't eat meat. Seriously, what is the big deal!? Poor Jeremy though, biggest carnivore ever, it was one of his worst nightmares!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Novia!!! Thanks for the shout out! As blog proves, I eat just as well as people who eat everything (most of the time). And there is no doubt in my mind, you will do fine in Peru. If we could survive in Espana, we can survive any where. Seriously, any where. I'm still really jealous of India....

    ReplyDelete