Saturday, August 28, 2010

"Sleeping" in the Airport

In the interest of experiencing new things and not being overly cautious, I decided to stay the night in the Lima airport. This is very unlike me. I am a planner big time, in fact ambiguous plans make me really anxious. I had read that lot of travelers stay in the airport though, since the flight times to Peru seem to be on the whole very inconvenient.

Can't wait to do this again! Sacred Valley ($1 bus ride from Cusco)
Although I used to hate Starbucks because it was "too corporate" (I blame living in Boulder for 5 years for even having thoughts like this), I now appreciate them more than I ever thought I would. The bonus of the corporate atmosphere is, you always know what you are going to get. The minus is that in Peru where a bus ride to the Sacred Valley costs less than a dollar, a Chai Latte costs $6USD. Umm no joke that's more than NYC.

Either way I have camped out with some other travelers (I assume from their zip-off travel pants and copious amounts of luggage), have a seat on a comfortable lounge chair and have free internet. The free internet all Starbucks locations is what has really won me over. That and you can always count on them for a taste of the USA- they were the only place in Spain that was playing Christmas music before I returned when I studied abroad.

As for sleeping, well that's probably a farfetched dream. For starters I have OCD and sleeping in front of strangers is not something I am good at without a familiar face. Secondly, I have OCD so the thought of falling asleep in a developing country with all my possessions just hanging out does not seem like a great idea.

It's currently 1:30 and I plan to stay awake until I can check-in at 3:45 for my 5:45 flight. It's going to be a long night after an already long day. My spanish is progressively getting worse as exhaustion is settling in, o well at least my placement test is not this morning!

It feels strangely like deja vu to be back in the Lima airport for a long time. Last time Josh and I were inadvertently here for almost a whole day due to American Airlines shenanigans and flight cancellations. I even came into the same gate that we waited for hours figuring out what was going on, missed two flights and eventually made it back to the USA. (Guess who's flight was delayed again today? Yep my AA flight. And I ate a roll for dinner after false promises of a veggie meal- the worst.)

Lima at sunset, pollution is gross, but makes sunsets very nice to look at! 
Enough rambling, sleepiness is starting to close-in, but I'll be awake and probably eating the entire bag of Pirate's Booty throughout the next 4 hours.

New adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment