Saturday, April 3, 2010

Frustration

I am sitting in the Madrid airport waiting to get onto my flight to Barcelona to meet my grandma, aunt and uncle before their cruise. This morning has been everything short of ideal. I had to wake up at 4h30 in order to get to the airport in plenty of time. As if waking up that early wasn’t disorienting enough, there was also no power in Jolene’s apartment. I couldn’t shower; it was hard enough to brush my teeth in pitch black. I had to finish packing, get dressed and make sure that I had all of my belongings, all in rooms that I couldn’t see my own hand. The only light I had was my iPhone. Pretty much the worst scenario I can think of to leave somewhere. Luckily I packed my stuff last night.

I made Jolene call a taxi for me since I was already frustrated that everything was taking three times as long as normal to get ready. I walked out of the apartment and tried the timed light switch for the stairs and it worked perfectly fine…. Upon entering the taxi I got into an argument with the driver (all in Spanish, which without someone who speaks better than me as a crutch I can speak and understand pretty well) about his choice of direction. He was right that his way probably was faster, but with the highway a mere 5 blocks from Jolene’s house it seemed like going through the city was the worst way to get here. I’m here now though and in 15 minutes. And I apologized to the driver, citing my lack of power and ability to pack this morning.

I would love nothing more than to be on the internet and posting this directly to the site, but after paying 60 euros extra for my small suitcase to board the flight, the extra 5 euros seem like too much right now (my flight was 45 euros... should I have bought my bag its own seat instead??). I miss free wi-fi. Keep in mind that I have carried this particular suitcase on flights from NYC to Seattle without problems for the last 5 years. It looks like I might have to buy another new suitcase. Why is it that Europe can manufacture and distribute suitcases that are lighter and a better size, but when I looked in Colorado none of them were any better in size than the one I already own? I want to buy a new one, but they are so expensive.

I am hoping that the next hour goes by quickly as I sit in the first McDonald’s I’ve been to in maybe 5-10 years. It happens to be the only thing that is open right now. I would love a cafĂ© solo right now more than anything in the world, which if you know me at all that is a very weird thing for me to say.

Once again I can honestly say that I have no desire to come back to Madrid, for many reasons not in this post, ever again. Thanks for the send off.

I’m onto bigger and better things.

4 flights, same time, same gate, different flight numbers.
HOW SPANISH

1 comment:

  1. No power until around noon the next day. Bleh. Cold house and dead cell phone. Sorry friend that Spain had such a sub par send-off! Hasta luego!

    ReplyDelete