Thursday, April 29, 2010

The Highs and Lows of Traveling Solo

As I mentioned previously in the first post I made, traveling alone would not have been my first choice. When it came down to it though, it is hard to find someone who wants to do exactly the same thing as you and waiting around for someone could take a lifetime. In the past month here are the things that I have learned (or learnt as they say here).

Pros:
  1. You can do whatever you want and never have to compromise
  2. You always get to go to the restaurant you want
  3. You never have to do something you don't want to
  4. Navigating crowds is easy with one person
  5. People may be more inclined to approach you when there is no one else there
  6. No one to argue with about directions, if you get lost it's your own fault
  7. Can spend more or less time doing something that you like
  8. Never have to schedule anything around someone else
  9. People think you are really independent and interesting
  10. A lot of good thinking time
  11. Get to know yourself a lot better

Regent Canal in Camden; I run this same canal but by my house

Cons:
  1. You are constantly explaining to everyone why you are where you are
  2. Constantly at the stage of getting to know people
  3. You are not comfortable enough to just hang out with someone, you always have to be doing something - sometimes you don't want to be alone, but don't want to have to work at being around someone
  4. If you run out of ideas of things to do there is no one to brainstorm with
  5. Eating lunch or breakfast out alone is no big deal, but dinner kind of sucks
  6. If you get lost or don't remember something, there is no one there to help you remember
  7. Can't go out at night by yourself- A. it's weird B. at night everyone else went to the bars with friends C. it's too loud to talk to people you don't know
  8. There's no one to share food with when you want to try multiple things - a big problem for me at the Borough market!
  9. There's too much time to think- I've had thoughts wondering if I have more thoughts than other people in an average day... what?
  10. Skype is the best and only way to talk to people from back home and it is temperamental- sometimes just doesn't work at all
Finally a high and a low, every story that happens is your own, there is no one else that has experienced quite the same thing. This makes it really special, but also very lonely when no one else will ever reminisce with you.

View of London from Parliament Hill in Hampstead Heath

I have learned a lot about myself in just this short month and have been forced to be more outgoing. I actually thank my time at Chase (never thought I would say that!) for 9 months of meaningless small talk to people that I don't want to talk to, it has made making small talk to strangers I might want to talk to loads easier. At least I can thank them for something right?

I feel more comfortable and confident that I have been able to force myself to do everything that I have wanted to, even if it made me feel a little uncomfortable doing it alone- the exception being going out to dinner, I really hate doing that alone.

The next month I will be with people that I know, including my best friend and I cannot wait to not have to explain myself over and over again and to just hang out, go out and relax.

For my class it was the best decision to not be in a hostel as I had so much work and needed my space to study, work and sleep, but I do not think that it has been ideal for meeting people. Whatever I decide to do next and wherever I decide to go, I think that I will at least stay in a hostel for a little while to meet new people who are doing the same thing as me, traveling, seeing the world and talking to new people.

The past month has shown me what I am capable of doing and has reassured me that this was the right choice. Next time I will know how to do it even better!

Brick Lane; This guy did some amazing percussion with buckets, it was seriously awesome!

Other Updates:

The past week has been crazy. Two finals, class, teaching practice and the inability to sleep! I am one day away from being a certified english teacher- I am very excited for the class to be over and I feel a big sense of accomplishment having learned the entire english grammatical system and phonetic alphabet in one week! Now it's time to start looking for jobs!

Words cannot express how excited I am to go relax on the beach. Monday I'm leaving for Israel!

Can't wait to eat some middle eastern food, relax, tan and get to hang out with my best friend, Josh!

No comments:

Post a Comment