Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The New 'Hood

In the last week my life has taken a dramatic change. I went from doing pretty much nothing all day (well I mean if you count eating, naps and computer time I was doing a lot) to having a jam packed schedule full of school, homework every night, exploring and meeting new people. It's been an overwhelming, but amazing last 9 or so days.

I got to London on Easter Sunday with more luggage than I need, which didn't fully come into realization until I had to trek from Heathrow to Stepney Green via two tube lines and a bus (thanks for the welcome London and having my tube station closed!). I was completely exhausted and sore after lugging it around - mom expect a package home before Israel! On top of the physical exhaustion I also had the issue of not really knowing where I was going, praying that my accommodation was not dodgy and not having a working cell phone to call the girl whose room I am renting.


New place which is a pub conversion.

It all worked out though and my carefully drawn (not) map and directions got me to my new flat and I met up with the girl, met my landlord, etc. My house is great, though not the friendliest place as I have seen my Spanish and French roommates twice each. We each have our own dishes, silverware, toilet paper (?!?!!) and not even a shared hand towel or soap in the bathroom. It's not bad exactly, it is just really weird after living with friends or having my own space the last 6 years.


New room. Huge.

The bane of my existence here has to be the shower though. It has its own water heater that you have to turn on and off, the worst water pressure ever and it is literally either freezing or scorching hot. I cannot wait for a real shower again, apparently Josh's place in Israel has a legit shower. I know the first thing I'm doing when I get there.


I hate you.

My neighborhood is the most diverse place that I have ever lived, which to be honest is not hard when you have been in Boulder for 5 years and the most diversity you see is dirty blonde vs. light brown (what is the difference anyway?). I am in a neighborhood with a very big Bengali population and it smells amazingly like Indian food all the time. When I go for a run I kind of feel like that girl from Bend it Like Beckham. There are also Brits, black people, arab people (my landlord is Pakistani) and loads of other kinds of people. It's amazing. I love it. It's exactly what I (so far) love the most about London is how many different kinds of people it attracts.

Down the street from my house is a church, St. Dunstan's, that had church bell practice Thursday night. For two hours. Straight. There's nothing else to say, just imagine.

There is even a farm with a cow and goats down the street, very random.

The rest of the neighborhood is pretty residential and there is not a lot to do here, but it is very close to Brick Lane (Indian food, apparently good bars), close to school and accessible to the city. It's more than fine. It's allowing me to have space to do work and not be too tempted to blow off school and procrastinate, but if I do decide to then London is at my doorstep.

Like I said the last week has been amazing and there are a lot of good stories, but not a lot of time to write them. School is long, hard and a lot of work.


Oh hey it's Big Ben.

Next post will be about meeting new people and trying to understand them.

No comments:

Post a Comment