Thursday, January 6, 2011

Christmas in Germany

Since a lot my family decided to travel over the holidays to either places in the USA or to Asia (my grandma), I decided to also travel (big surprise). I went to visit my two German friends that I traveled a lot with in Peru in Germany. It was my second Christmas without family and my first Christmas abroad. Germany was an excellent choice as a Christmas destination and I even enjoyed a white Christmas!

I never really thought about Germany as a great travel destination, other than enjoying Oktoberfest, which I did in 2007. When I was 12 my mom went on a vacation to Germany in December and I remember hearing her telling about the Christmas markets and I was always jealous that I wasn't asked to go. This winter things came together and I was able to enjoy a German Christmas, and learn more about German culture as a whole. Some of the things were really weird to me and some things I think the USA needs to catch on to...

Things I learned about Germany regarding Christmas and general life:

  1. Snow- First off, I always just assumed that by Germany's latitude that it snowed there all the time and most likely a good amount of snow. Apparently, I was very wrong. When I visited, they were having an unusual amount of snow. My friends told me there was "a lot", so I figured a lot meant there was over a foot (30cm) of snow on the ground. Turns out a lot was only 4 inches (10cm)... It was weird to see everyone so shocked and confused about what to do with such a small amount of snow. Trains were running late or cancelled, airports were closing, people were scared to drive and they were running out of salt for the roads. It was the first time that I had seen such chaos from such an insignificant amount of snow. It was really bizarre. I will admit that after my two week stay there was a good amount of snow (10 inches/25 cm), but I would hate to see what would happen if there was an actual blizzard! 
  2. Heating up cars- I come from a state that is generally cold in the winter, sometimes very cold, and where snow is not a big deal and there are protocols for the car that I never thought about before going to Germany. In Colorado when you want to scrape your car from ice or snow, you turn it on and let it heat up. This not only helps to melt the ice, but also ensures a nicer drive the first 10 minutes in the car. In Germany they would never leave the car running if the driver is not inside and it is apparently illegal! The first time it happened it was really surprising. Even more shocking was that even if there is someone else in the car and you are picking someone up, and the driver leaves the car, they always take the keys out and lock the doors (another weird thing is that my friend locked the doors to the car while getting gas, even though I was still in the car). This leaves the passengers waiting in the cold while it is below freezing. I just couldn't get used to it. Yes, I care about the environment, but I also car about comfort and the comfort of my passengers...
  3. Blowing your nose- Within the first or second train ride I was pretty disgusted to hear people blowing their nose around me as if they were trying to expel their brain from their skull. I commented on how unsavory the noise was to my friend and then learned it was normal and that Germans do it all the time. I prefer American politeness, thanks. 
  4. Last but not least, Christmas time!
    • 3 days of Christmas! Germans exchange their gifts and have their family meal on Christmas Eve, instead of the 25th and then proceed to have two more days (the 25th and 26th) reserved for seeing family, having big meals and celebrating. I am not sure about the whole Christmas eve thing, but I would definitely be on board for not cramming everything and everyone into one day. Why not a leisurely three day celebration? 
    • I learned the hard way that if you are at someone's house during these days and celebrating with their family, then they will give you a present of some kind so that no one feels left out. I never expected that and I felt really bad not having taken the same consideration to bring gifts for everyone. I brought some informal presents for my friends, but apparently should have wrapped them, given them on Christmas eve and brought presents for family members. I felt awful, but now I know I guess. Bad guest! 
    • It is normal to go out with your friends drinking on any of these three nights and clubs are open these nights and there are a lot of people at them! I had never spent a Christmas out with friends and definitely never drank and danced that night, but I think it was a nice break from family celebrations (especially three days worth) and you get to see your friends during the few days. I liked it after being initially skeptical. 
    • Finally, the thing that was really nice was mulled wine and Christmas markets. There were several around different cities and all had a very Christmasy vibe and decorations. There was a mix of friends, families and tourists either looking at crafts or drinking hot wine! The mulled wine was one of my favorite parts and something that friends met up to do drink. I don't know why the US hasn't caught on to this drink, but they should ASAP! I am pretty sure there is nothing better to warm up from the cold then something hot and alcoholic. I am bringing this home for sure! 
All in all it was a successful holiday spent with friends. After this trip I would like to go back to Germany and see it without snow and enjoy some other summer activities. I think it won't be my last trip to Germany!

Danke Marc and Sebastian!

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you finally got to enjoy the Christmas Markets - you would not have enjoyed the mulled wine at 12 :)

    ReplyDelete