Monday, January 31, 2011

Word to the wise

I would like to take a moment out of my usual travel stories and rants about grad school to inform everyone of a very important lesson that I have recently (painfully) had the displeasure of learning. It has to do with health while traveling, specifically dental health.

There is a lot of controversy regarding water fluorination in public water, but in the USA this is a common practice. I never gave it a second thought until going to the dentist this past week after traveling 11 months abroad. After two very unpleasant and traumatizing dental visits this past week, I am now a full proponent of fluorinating water.

I have never really had a lot of dental problems, yes I had braces as many Americans do on the quest to ideal teeth, but root canals, cavities and the like really never affected me. Then I traveled abroad in countries that do not fluorinate their water. And I came home to four cavities. $800 and three excruciating hours of dental visits later... I am never traveling abroad without prescription strength fluorinated toothpaste ever again.

I know that this is not necessarily the cause as correlation doesn't equal causation, but I am not the only one that I have known to have this occur. Do yourself a favor and when you are packing bring some Crest Pro Health toothpaste (apparently the best) and maybe even some prescription strength toothpaste. It will save you a nitrous oxide filled afternoon (not as fun as you would hope) in the dental chair!

And FYI bottled water doesn't have fluoride either... I am so thankful for fresh mountain water at my disposal! I know many countries do not have the same luxury. 

2 comments:

  1. This made me really paranoid about my dental health... thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome ;) Get some good toothpaste and at least the army should give you free cavity fillings for 6 months!

    ReplyDelete