Wednesday, December 8, 2010

(More) Homeless

Since high school I haven't really had a "home" per se. I lived in the dorms and a smattering of other apartments in Boulder. I had a room at the two houses my mom has lived in since I moved out, but since I never lived there and now even at her house I live out of suitcases, I still never felt like I had a home since I moved out when I was 18.

Most parents are used to their kids moving out and around the country, but now I am faced with my mom and her husband deciding to retire and move to a whole new state! They recently purchased a home in the same community as my Grandma lives and where my aunt and uncle are planning to move. Nice for them to be so close and nice for me to be able to visit all my family at once, which has never happened since they were always spread out from Seattle to Colorado to Minnesota to Florida.

But what does that mean for me? That means that when I won't have a room at my mom's ever again, nor a room in the state I grew up in, won't be visiting Colorado anymore for holidays and I won't have anywhere for my stuff. It's stressful knowing that in less than a year from now I have no idea where I will (hopefully) be going to grad school and that I will have to take everything I want to keep with me- there will be no more bedroom for me to keep anything in. In addition I won't be seeing my friends in Colorado unless I go there on "vacation", although I do think most of my friends will be leaving the state soon.

I suppose it forces me to settle down next year or invest in a storage unit. Either way it stresses me out.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Allie, I was in a similar position a few months ago- my dads be job will force them to move back to DE. All my stuff is there, and they won't take it with them. I hve and am having to do a bunch of purging and it makes a whole slew of hard decisions. Now moving in with Nick we have to decide what all we actually need. It's hard to let something go especially because we don't have much $ right now. But it gets better. It's nice to revisit the stuff, and to let some of it go. You always have a door open in CO. Congrats to your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Growing up is hard right? Congrats on moving in with Nick :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll have a home for 2 weeks in Jan:).. a middle eastern home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Toda :) You can expect some home cooked meals and my stuff all over in return!

    ReplyDelete