Monday, March 8, 2010

My Bags Are Packed

A few of my friends, mostly Emily, have urged me to write a blog about this next stage in my life, so here goes nothing!

In two days I am embarking on what is arguably the most exciting journey of my life thus far. I am going back to Madrid to visit one of my best friends, Jolene, for three weeks. I will then be heading to London to take a TEFL certification where I will become certified to teach english as a foreign language so that I can eventually go teach english in South America- Cartagena, Columbia is top on the list right now. But, before I actually "settle down" in one place to teach (pretty sure no one else, especially my mom, will call it settling down until I am back in the USA and married or something), I am going to travel to Israel to see my recently ex-boyfriend (due to living in different countries, not by lack of feelings) and best friend, Josh and head to India to see my friend Arush.


Seriously how could you not want to see all of it!

Travel is the most natural and inherent thing in the world to me. This traveling paradigm started three generations before me in my immediate family. I grew up listening to stories of my grandparent's recent vacations and plans for vacations. I'm pretty sure every time I saw or talked to them they were planning a new trip. The two of them traveled the world together and I look forward to emulating that! In fact, my great grandparents, the original globetrotters, went on several round the world cruises, the last one my great grandfather actually met his demise on (yep they have morgues on cruise ships).

The past few years have been spent planning the next trip and the next time I get to leave Colorado. I know that this has been a source of contention for me and past friends and family. It's not you all that I want to leave. I just feel so unsettled in Colorado and itching to travel the world while I am still young. It's not that I want to leave you, in fact, I would love to go everywhere with friends, but not many people have the same goals. Trust me it's equally hard for me to understand why someone doesn't want to see the world, as it is for people to understand why I feel like this is something that I need to do!

I feel like my whole life has been setting myself up slowly for travel. In school I studied two languages, spanish and french, so between those and english I have positioned myself very well to travel a lot of the world with much more ease. My goal in SA is to come home from Columbia fluent or close in spanish. I didn't know in 7th grade when I first stepped foot into french class that I was adding to my propensity to travel!

I have been so lucky in my life to be fortunate to travel to so many places at the young age of 24. As I was filling out an ill-fated first attempt to get an Indian visa, I had to list all of the countries I've visited in the last 10 years and it was quite the list:
  1. Spain- where I lived and studied abroad for 4 months
  2. France - 3 times
  3. UK
  4. Italy - twice
  5. Greece
  6. Germany - Oktoberfest!
  7. Belgium
  8. Monaco
  9. The Netherlands
  10. Czech Republic
  11. New Zealand - volunteered and backpacked for four weeks
  12. Australia
  13. Mexico - a few times
  14. Nicaragua - 2 medical mission trips
  15. Peru - just got back last wednesday!
I have had some amazing adventures and met amazing people, many who I've lost contact with, but also made some lifelong friends, such as my novia, Lindsay!

This trip is different for me. Past trips I have either had a friend, relative or a program with a set plan to follow. This time I'm going alone, not by choice, but it is something that I feel so strongly about that I cannot sit back and wait any longer for someone who wants to travel with me. The struggles and successes that come with foreign countries will be mine alone to figure out this time.

As I sit in my room, stark, empty walls and bags packed- I'm excited more than anything. Excited to move into the next phase of my life and excited to meet new people. I have had some incredible travels mixed with complete and utter joy, disappointment, danger (both good and bad) and complete adventure. I've said my goodbyes and now I'm left with the anticipation and utter intoxication of excitement that always comes before a big adventure.

I've appropriately entitled this blog wanderlust as that is the only word that can describe this feeling that I cannot shake as I head out into the world without trepidation!

Next stop Madrid!


Most people would probably choose retiro or something, but tio pepe you spell madrid to me!

5 comments:

  1. I AM UNDER THE TIO PEPE...

    huh?

    UNDER THE TIO PEPE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Allison: This is Melody Reed (a friend of your mom) and I applaude your determination to see the world! You will find that you'll meet many wonderful people along your journey that will both assist and comfort you.

    I still have "wanderlust" too although not as strong as when I was younger, but you're never too old to enjoy new places and people and I will continue my travels now that I'm retired.

    I have enjoyed your blog and look forward to hearing more of your journey.

    Take care and be happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. <3 the pic. I'm excited to be part of the adventure! You just got bookmarked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You were definately brought up to have the family "wanderlust" ... do you remember the first cruise ship trip through the Panama Canal? I think you were only 4 or 5 years old then.

    So glad you decided to take the plunge and go for it on your own ... you will build memories that will last a lifetime.

    Looking forward to seeing you in Spain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Melody, thank you for reading!

    ReplyDelete