Friday, March 11, 2011

Ash Wednesday Mass

I haven't had a lot of time for new experiences recently, but I was able to fit in an hour at Catholic mass on Wednesday for Ash Wednesday. Let me preface this by saying I am not Catholic and could never be Catholic, but I am curious about what goes on during different religious services. Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of 40 days and nights of lent before Easter. If you're like me you have probably seen people with ash on their foreheads and have definitely known people who give up some kind of pleasurable thing for lent. I also like to give things up, not for Jesus, but because I think it's good to have self control and not rely on too many things. This year I have given up beer and hard alcohol, one year I gave up facebook.

On Wednesday, two of my friends and I, one Catholic and one not, but like me curious, went to Catholic mass. I had previously been to two Catholic funerals and a mass in Spain when I was 17 that I fell asleep during, so I had no idea what happens when you are at a regular service. Catholicism is so ritualistic and if you aren't familiar with the prayers or the order it is confusing. There is kneeling, communion, Latin, and there was a bell ringing while the priests held a cup up to Jesus. It was probably one of the weirder things I have ever seen, but very interesting to see what a billion people believe in on Earth.

What bothered me is that there hasn't been any changes that allow for how the world has changed. There was one part where they were saying the people of the Synagogues and the "hypocrites" were very wrong in their way of showing good deeds and piety. I understand that it is traditional, but I do not respect religions that bash other religions and if that is not their intent then the words should be changed.

I also do not like being told what a sinner I am and that the music also had a lot of undertones about sinning. This whole idea really bothers me about Catholicism especially, but christianity in general.

I found it highly odd that there were no bibles in the pews, I guess the priests are the only ones that can read it?

I discovered while I was there how lax the Catholic church has become in regards to lent. Apparently, you can do/eat/drink whatever you want on Sundays as per what the Pope has declared. I think that a place so founded in traditions and rituals should either stick to them or undergo some major changes.

Obviously, I will not be converting any time soon, but I think that it makes you a more rounded and educated person to experience these types of situations if not just to be able to form better opinions about them. I respect that it helps a lot of people get through the day and live a more moral life, I just don't believe in any of its teachings. I am glad to have had the experience though, it was definitely a more interesting way to spend the hour than watching TV or sitting on my computer!

We plan to go to a Mormon service next and also to Jewish temple. Luckily we will have people who are familiar with these religions, not necessarily followers, who are going with us so we can absorb more of the experiences.

Update:

I have started my crazy busy interview and travel schedule! Last weekend was intense with two interviews and flying to the east coast and midwest. Tuesday I am off to NYC again! 

No comments:

Post a Comment