Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Things I learned from Choquequirao

Finally made it after a long 2nd day! 

To be completely honest, I wasn't really sure exactly what I was getting myself into when I agreed to go to Choquequirao. All I knew was that two of my friends were really keen to go and had arranged for one of our professors to guide them. Between the three of them, within one week, I was easily convinced that I would join them on their trek. I read little about what was to come in fear of psyching myself out. I figured that it was better not to know exactly what was going to happen. The trip was really hard (aka crazy), but ended up worthwhile (especially looking back and no longer being in pain). In the end I am glad that I went and here are some key things that I learned about myself, travel and backpacking along the way:

  1. Who needs 4 days when you can do it in 2.5?
  2. Walking 32 km (almost 20 miles) in one day with a 1000 meter descend and ascend is humanly possible, though not advised
  3. Surviving on all carbohydrates for this 64 km trek is also possible when you forget your vegetarian food
  4. Cows like to eat t-shirts in the middle of the night
  5. Thunderstorms will only come when you have a poorly constructed tent
  6. An easy first day is a tease for an exhausting 2nd and 3rd day of climbing
  7. When you think you can't walk anymore, you can somehow manage to visit ruins and enjoy yourself
  8. There are bigger tarantulas on the trail than in all of the jungle (or at least that we saw)
  9. Having a mule as a pack animal is essential, especially the last 10km (after walking 20)
  10. When you think you have seen the worst bathroom ever, the ones at one of the campsites on the way is worse- holes in the ground and swarms of mosquitos to bite you while you use them
  11. The mosquitos are very small, but their bites are normal sized (I still have marks!)
  12. It doesn't matter how much repellant or sunscreen you wear, you will still have bites and be sunburned at the end
  13. Small peruvian mountain towns close shop at 8pm so when you have walked 32km you will not find a taxi, cheap hostel or vegetarian food other than french fries
  14. Thermal springs do not mean hot springs
  15. Laughing is the only thing you have left when things go wrong
  16. The next day you will be sorer and hungrier than you can remember being in a long time 
  17. Gatorade really does help you get through hard sports activities or at least the placebo effect enough
  18. From my friend Marc: Never underestimate the length or the hardness of a hike from the first day on the third day: 10 km on flat ground is not fun in the dark or after already having walked 20 km previously 
  19. Walking sticks are helpful even if they make you look like an old man
  20. Everyone likes S'Mores and wine after a hard day of hiking 
Unbeatable views

It was an exhausting trip, but the uniqueness of having an entire archaeological ruin similar to Machu Picchu to yourself is truly special. The trip not only pushed our physical limits, but also the limits of new friendships. Together we made it through the physical and mental challenges of our trip without fighting once.  I have never felt so accomplished after a hike. In the end we came out having one of the most unique, hard and bonding experiences in my life. Unfortunately vacation always has to come to an end and close friendships become long distance friendships, but we will always have these shared experiences and inside jokes!

Thanks for the memories Choquequirao!

Arriving- where was the 32km sign?


No comments:

Post a Comment