Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Sights, Sounds and Smells of Perú

I have been in Peru for just a week and a half, but it feels much longer. It's not exactly a bad feeling, but I wonder how long it will feel like I have been gone by the time November rolls around. The past week and a half I have been trying to get accustomed to being here. Unlike Europe, the US and even Israel, there is absolutely no way for me to blend in here. One, I am at least 6 inches or more taller than most of the woman and the men. Two, I in no way look like I am descended from the Incas. Three, I have been bundled up for most of the time I've been here and I am pretty sure Peruvians don't wear North Face and hiking boots.
As you can see I look like a giant 
Since I can't blend in I am kind of becoming accustomed to being constantly harassed every time I walk around about "mansajes, pedicures, manicures", "por que no cena aqui?"and various other things. Pretty sure they won't be going away- at least they are not offering "marijuana, cocaine" like they are to other people.

The things that I am having a problem adjusting to is the pollution. The cars here are all terrible and the smell of exhaust is overwhelming in the tiny streets, especially when you are trying to walk up the hill to my residence and the altitude is already at 11,000 feet. Gross.

At least you can easily escape the city for less than $1 USD
The sounds of Peru are also taking some getting used to. I wake up basically every morning to the sound of fireworks or a bomb going off. It's not really a bomb, but it sure sounds like it when you wake-up suddenly at 6:30 or earlier every morning to some kind of loud noise that sounds like you are in a war zone. When I asked one of my professors what the noise was they answered, "es Perú y todas las días estamos celebrando" or it's Peru and everyday we are celebrating. Still not certain what the sound of rockets going off has to do with celebrating, but it is motivating me to go to the gym every morning since I am already awake so early!

Life here is taking some adjusting to, but slowly I feel like in 3 months I won't question things. It is a huge lesson in patience, luckily I am already skilled at this game after living in Spain.

Relajate, tranquilo and está bien are all phrases I use almost daily, especially when talking to myself.

Walking in the tiny streets

2 comments:

  1. TRANQUILO!! te amo mi novia y estoy pensando a tu.

    How does it feel to be a giant? This won't happen again in your life time, so enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is quite strange to be in a crowd and see over everyone... nice to see how the other half lives :)

    ReplyDelete